Write for Trail & Timberline
Article Submission Guidelines
The CMC was established in 1912, and the tradition of the magazine dates to 1918.
The Colorado Mountain Club is organized to:
- Unite the energy, interest, and knowledge of the students, explorers, and lovers of the mountains of Colorado;
- Collect and disseminate information regarding the Rocky Mountains on behalf of science, literature, art, and recreation;
- Stimulate public interest in our mountain area;
- Encourage the preservation of forests, flowers, fauna, and natural scenery; and
- Render readily accessible the alpine attractions of this region.
We encourage submissions from freelance writers who are familiar with our subject matter and our mission statement, listed above. Learn more about the club online, or for a sample copy of the magazine, send a self-addressed catalog-sized envelope and a check for $3 payable to "CMC."
Please be sure your article conforms to style and word usage as detailed in The Associated Press Stylebook. Visit www.apstylebook.com if you are not sure.
Finally, payment for articles is on acceptance, which is contingent on a favorable review by our editorial staff, and by outside reviewers, where appropriate.
Photo Submission Guidelines
Please do not send slides, prints, or other artwork. If photos or illustrations are required for your submission, we will request them when your work is accepted for publication.
Typically, photo submissions must have been shot at 300 dpi, 11 x 17 in. to be considered for publication. Please, do not resize in Photoshop.
For review purposes, please send images at 72 dpi, 5 x 7 in. If possible, please post images on a website for us to view.
Letters to the Editor
Trail & Timberline welcomes letters to the editor. Letters should be no longer than 300 words. They must be signed and are subject to editing for length and clarity. Letters are published solely at the discretion of the editor. Email your letter or send it by US Mail.
Editor, Trail & Timberline magazine
710 Tenth Street, Suite 200
Golden, CO 80401