Wilderness Trekking School (WTS)
Register for Spring 2014 WTS
Lecture Dates: Tuesdays, April 8, 15, 29 and May 13, 20 @ 6:30 p.m., Foss Auditorium, AMC Golden
Field Dates: Your choice of all Thursdays (April 17, 24 and May 1, 15, 29) OR all Saturdays (April 12, 26 and May 3, 17, 31) OR all Sundays (April 13, 27 and May 4, 18 and June 1).
Enrollment fee: $100 until April 1, then $120 until April 8.
Hiking in Colorado’s mountains is fabulous recreation! Wilderness Trekking School (WTS) is for all, whether you want to bag a few 14ers or just enjoy the scenery. WTS is a great introduction to the Colorado Mountain Club and a place to meet new friends. WTS, a comprehensive course on mountain hiking, is the Colorado Mountain Club’s largest school. Students are all ages, from 18 to 80. If you’re new to hiking, WTS gives you the opportunity to learn how to travel safely and with confidence in the backcountry. If you’re an experienced hiker, WTS gives you a chance to review, to enhance your skills, and possibly to fill in some gaps. WTS also fulfills one of the requirements to obtain a Denver Group C hiker classification and to attend Basic Mountaineering School.
Topics covered include:
• Essential gear, helping you decide what you need to buy and carry
• Off-trail travel techniques, from boulders and talus to tundra
• Map & compass skills, figuring out where you are, navigation and route-finding
• Weather, how to anticipate and handle wind, rain, lightning, and snow
• Nutrition, helping you choose what food to carry
• Handling an unexpected night in the backcountry and a backcountry emergency
• Snow travel and avalanche awareness, handling unexpected snow on the trail
• Leave No Trace practices
The course consists of five Tuesday night lectures, four field days, a group hike, and some homework (yes, really!). Students are divided into groups of 10-12 people based on hiking pace, conditioning, and prior experience. Instructor teams consist of a senior instructor and two assistant instructors. Students have the opportunity to learn techniques of safe backcountry travel and to practice in a non-competitive, non-confrontational setting. Students plan and complete a hike with their field group. WTS is a great place to learn and practice new skills, make new friends, and become a safe backcountry traveler.
Learn more about Wilderness Trekking School at the Denver Group page: www.hikingdever.net