Summer Rock Specialist
The Colorado Mountain Club’s Youth Education Program (YEP) provides active-learning through adventure education. YEP uses an experiential approach to connect youth with their local surroundings to make learning relevant and fun by utilizing Colorado’s greatest natural resource: the mountains.
The Youth Education Program provides summer adventure courses for youth ages 9-18. Adventure courses consist of rock climbing, hiking, nature discovery, and teambuilding. We offer day camps for a variety of ages and skill levels and overnight multi-day camps for teens.
To take lead responsibility for all YEP rock climbing programs assist the YEP program with all aspects of summer programming.
- Facilitate a safe, positive, cooperative, and fun group environment with youth ages 9-18.
- Set up and break down technical top rope systems at specified outdoor crags & at wall.
- Understand and follow all YEP safety and risk management procedures.
- Assess and monitor YEP risk management practices and make recommendations for any changes to supervisor.
- Demonstrate and instruct safe climbing skills including: belaying, rappelling, knot tying, back-up systems, artificial gear placement.
- Coach students in proper climbing skills and technique.
- Inventory and maintain climbing equipment daily.
- Ensure safety of self while setting up and breaking down technical systems and model this behavior at all times to students.
- Assist with training and supervision of volunteer belayers indoors and outdoors.
- Assist education team with group management and well-being of youth participants on multi-day educational courses and classes.
- American Mountain Guides Association Single Pitch Instructor certification or higher
- Current Wilderness First Responder certification.
- Two or more years of significant rock climbing experience, including anchor building and institutional climbing instruction. Must be able to lead traditional climbs up to 5.8
- Ability to coach & supervise a wide range of personalities, abilities, and people of all ages.
- Familiarity with other youth rock climbing programs, statewide, and/or nationally.
- Ability to work independently, and support a team.
- Ability to lead and direct other staff and interns.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to correct technical skills with tact.
- Ability to carry a load up to 40 pounds.
- Current driver’s license and personal transportation required. Mileage Reimbursement of $.25/mile.
Hours and Compensation
- 40 hours per week. Seasonal Position. Monday - Friday, May 18- August 14. 2015
- These dates are very specific and all must be available for applicant to be considered.
- Classes and courses typically run from 8:30am-4:00pm on weekdays. Some weeks overnight supervision is required.
- More dates may come available as registration fills but only the dates listed are guaranteed work.
- Employment is dependent on clearing background check
- Compensation -$13-16/hour , $120 a day for overnights
How to Apply
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 15th, 2015. Submit cover letter, resume and two references via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org
No Phone calls please. For more information about the Colorado Mountain Club’s Youth Education Program, visit our website at www.cmc.org/youth
Type: Volunteer Intern
Reports to: Development Director
Purpose: The Development Intern will assist with administrative tasks and general support of CMC’s fundraising efforts
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide administrative support for development activities
• Help plan and prepare for CMC’s annual fundraising events
• Research foundation and corporate fundraising opportunities
• Assist with marketing efforts related to fundraising
• Material preparation and assembly
• Special projects as assigned
• Undergraduate or graduate level and/or at least one year of related work experience
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Hours & Compensation
• 5-10 hours per week with flexible hours and schedule; start and end dates are also flexible
• CMC can coordinate with accredited universities to provide credit for hours completed
• This is an unpaid internship offering valuable experience in the non-profit sector
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with "Development Intern" in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
CMC provides equal employment opportunities to all people regardless of race, age, sex, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion or any other basis protected by law.