Find Your Next Adventure

Or leave the current defaults



Quick Trip Search
Colorado Mountain Club
Welcome,   Log OutMember Login •  Contact Us
Home » Calendar » EventDetails

Trip Details

Date Saturday  2/16/2019
End Date
Group Denver
Event Title Waterton Canyon
Start Time 8:00 AM
Status Complete
Leader Steve Bonowski
Member Price Free
Available Participants 5
Type Trip
Trip Type Hike
Pace Casual
Classification Easy B
Trail Mileage 12
Elevation Gain 300
Driving Distance 00


NOTE; Mt. Falcon east entrance is closed and west side heavily iced and muddy. Trip changed to Waterton Canyon. Contact leadr if any questions. Leader has notitified all participants by e-mail.


Meet at Morrison side trailhead; 3852 Vine St.; a few minutes before 8 AM. Leader drives a gray Nissan Xterra. Access the trailhead south of Morrison by turning right onto Forest St. and proceed west to another right turn onto Vine St.

If one is coming south on Hwy 8 from US 285, you will make a left turn onto Forest Street. There are small brown colored signs along the highway.

Because this trip is close in, we won't be organizing car pools from a specific meeting place.

For more info Contact   E-mail best, but can leave message on cell: 720-459-2841.


NOTE: trip destination changed to Waterton Canyon because of mud closure on east side of Mt. Falcon. West side open, but heavily iced over and muddy.


From the E side, hike up Castle Trail to the W entrance. We may return via the Parmalee and Meadow Trails depending on ground conditions. The Castle Trail only, from bottom to top, on to the W parking lot, and return, is approximately 7.7 miles round trip.

There are pit toilets located at each parking area, if you're not familiar with this JeffCo Open Space park. 


NOTE;  trip destination changed to Waterton Canyon due to ground conditions at Mt. Falcon.


Bring your regular day pack with the 10 Essentials. You will need some sort of traction device as the trail can have hard ice in places. Micro-spikes preferred. No tennis or running shoes. 

If there are bad roads occurring on the trip date, we'll postpone until the 23rd. Watch for an e-mail from the leader on Friday, Feb. 15.


Sorry it is past the registration deadline for this event.